The Death of MKO Abiola: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p02w68yg
The Death of General Abacha: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p02vyxqq
How quickly we forget. Almost exactly 17 years ago, the political situation was as follows:
- Nigeria was being ruled by a ruthless and reclusive military dictator called General Sani Abacha.
- General Olusegun Obasanjo was in prison, along with over 50 other army officers were in jail (some awaiting execution) on charges of coup plotting.
- Nigeria had become a pariah nation after being expelled from the Commonwealth for executing Ken Saro-Wiwa and other activists who were campaigning for a fairer share of Nigerian oil revenues and against the environmental damage caused to their lands by the drilling and spills of big oil companies.
- Lt-General Oladipo Diya, Major-Generals Abdulkareem Adisa and Tajudeen Olanrewaju, and several other officers were on death row awaiting execution for their role in another coup plot.
- The winner of the acclaimed June 12 1993 election Chief…
View original post 509 more words